About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
This Senior Information Governance Specialist position supports the following areas under the direction of Associate Director of Risk Management, the Director of Risk Management, and the Senior Director of Risk Management.
Electronic Data Discovery
Perform the collection of information related to subpoenas directed to the Firm, as well as information requests from internal teams, with minimal management oversight. Duties include:
- Manage and ensure email received and sent by the group emailbox used to communicate about collections work performed by IG is filed to the Document Management System.
- Liaise with in-house counsel to collect electronic data for internal review.
- Advise legal teams on the development of search syntax to identify relevant material for subsequent attorney review.
- Perform simple and complex Boolean searches in Relativity and Capax Archive Solution (CAS)
- Process collections for production
- Identify and resolve collection processing errors
- Negotiate and meet deadlines for the production and/or delivery of data for review by legal teams and/or outside vendors.
- Create and update process and best practices documentation
- Provide training and user support to lawyers, paralegals and other support staff on litigation technology software and systems
- Assist attorneys with document review
- Prepare documents and data sets for delivery and/or electronic transmission to outside parties
- Coordinate collections work performed by IG Specialist(s) and other members of IG.
- Liaise with IT to test and enhance collections related systems.
Ensure that the following activities occur in accordance with Firm approved information governance policies and procedures. Duties include:
- Develop guidance, processes, and tools / controls to ensure Firm data is structured and secured appropriately.
- Utilize database skills to effectively analyze large data sets and recommend solutions for the ongoing classification, access, and disposition of data.
- Develop migration strategies and validation techniques to ensure data integrity of core Client data across Firm systems.
- Support Data Privacy processes related to Data Subject Access Requests
- Coordinate the work of other IG staff involved in Data Protection projects
- Drive results on Data Protection projects to reduce costs and/or risks for the Firm.
The Senior Information Governance Specialist is expected to:
- Identify and contain risk relating to information management, and foster a compliance culture.
- Provide input to management for practical recommendations and solutions to complex and/or technical issues that relate to the management of client and Firm administrative information.
- Lead cross-functional teams to ensure appropriate governance of information management practices at the Firm.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of supporting procedures and processes.
- Liaise, and foster productive working relationships, with attorneys and others needing assistance with information governance issues.
- Lead the response to information requests from partners and other internal and external parties.
- Respond proactively to both business and project issues, and escalate issues appropriately.
- Perform duties after scheduled work hours and on weekends, as needed to meet the business demands of the Firm.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- An accredited undergraduate degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of e-discovery experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of law firm or legal industry experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating, securing, using, and administering Relativity workspaces, including the processing and loading of data.
- Subject matter expert in the litigation lifecycle and its impact on eDiscovery.
- Advanced knowledge of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM).
- Working knowledge of electronic data storage applications, SQL and SSRS.
- Candidates with an educational background from a wide variety of disciplines including information technology, legal, compliance, information management, and/or records management or equivalent experience will be considered.
- This position requires a self-motivated, creative, and detail-oriented individual with a strong knowledge of information management and/or information governance processes and technologies.
- Aptitude and interest in information technologies, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills is necessary.
- Must be capable of analyzing data, understanding technology, effectively prioritizing tasks/projects, and communicating complex and/or technical topics relating to IG to those who have no prior knowledge of the Firm’s systems and policies.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, time management, recordkeeping, analytical, planning and leadership skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Solid working knowledge and understanding of Records Management / Information Governance principles and/or in-depth knowledge of software development lifecycles including agile development and testing.
- Experience using and/or administering Relativity, iManage Work, Brainspace, Shared Drives, SharePoint, and LegalKEY.
- Business analysis and project management experience.
- Core Technologies - Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Relativity
- Preferred Technologies - SQL, Legal Software
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Relativity Certified Administrator preferred
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.