About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Kirkland & Ellis is seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic Business Development Manager to support its new Salt Lake City office and to be a key driver of its growth and success.
Reporting to the West Coast Director of Business Development and working collaboratively with other regional and Firmwide business development professionals, the Business Development Manager will provide comprehensive support across the entirety of the business development and marketing lifecycle, playing a key role in the execution of development strategies for all cross-practice areas with a particular focus on corporate, specifically private equity and M&A and commercial litigation.
This is a highly visible attorney and occasional client-facing role, requiring an experienced legal business development generalist with an adaptable, entrepreneurial style and a proven business acumen.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Through the development of a keen understanding of the Firm’s unique business model, capabilities and client relationships, the Business Development Manager will manage the execution of business development strategies and specific objectives for the Salt Lake City office, as well as the individual business development initiatives of attorneys.
- Pursue and facilitate opportunities to expand market share with existing and new clients, including identifying prospects for cross-selling and supporting account-specific development tactics in conjunction with relationship partners.
- Collaborate with Business Intelligence to identify and evaluate potential clients, and coordinate efforts to proactively engage targets, while tracking ongoing outreach.
- Prepare thoughtful, substantive pitches and proposals tailored to specific matters and practice areas. Conduct original research and produce corresponding narratives--including factual findings, statistics, etc., in support of specific pitch opportunities. Track all pitches to evaluate pipeline, wins/losses and trends by client type, practice, industry, etc.
- Partner with attorneys and business development colleagues to produce timely, targeted thought leadership and client training materials aligned with anticipated client needs, lead generation and client relationship development or in response to specific requests.
- Coordinate high-quality in-person and virtual events and speaking engagements for groups of various sizes, including providing on-the-ground support, leading speaker and attendee preparation and supporting follow-up with generated leads, as well as tracking ROI.
- Create office-specific collateral materials to showcase Kirkland’s offerings including practice descriptions, attorney biographies, website content, brochures and other marketing collateral. Assist with the maintenance of experience databases, as well as practice and industry-specific deal and case lists.
- Draft and manage submissions, rankings, surveys, directories and other recognitions for disputes and transactional practices. Additionally, in collaboration with partners, submit clients for awards and recognitions.
- Track relationships and connect-the-dots in support of business development opportunities. Also, maintain marketing lists for specific events and other interactions using the firmwide CRM database (InterAction).
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the Salt Lake City and Utah legal market, and key client industries. Continually monitor market trends, clients and competitors.
- Manage other business development and marketing projects as necessary.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- 5+ years business development and marketing experience gained within professional services, with a preference for experience working with an AmLaw 100 law firm.
- Deep understanding of the Salt Lake City legal market and key industry sectors.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and overseeing junior team members.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office software, with expertise in PowerPoint, Excel and SharePoint preferred.
- Experience with planning and preparing pitches, substantive presentations and other marketing materials required.
- Advanced research skills across legal and business resources and topics. Familiarity with electronic resources, including Westlaw, Pitchbook, Preqin, Capital IQ, Docket Navigator, Lex Machina, Monitor Suite and others is preferred.
- Subject matter knowledge of private equity transactional practice areas--e.g. investment funds, M&A, debt finance, tech & IP transactions, tax, executive compensation, environmental transactions, antitrust, etc.--commercial litigation is highly preferred. Versatility and the capacity to quickly transition from the support of one practice area to another are paramount.
- Marketing document creation experience, with a good eye for graphic design and sharp attention to detail is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills necessary to maintain effective relationships with internal and external partners.
- Excellent client service orientation and listening skills; comfortable interacting with Firm leadership and key department personnel; possess diplomacy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic required.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, with strong skills in written/verbal communication, organizational ability, project management and prioritization.
- Ability to thrive in an electronic environment and utilize technology to deliver information.
- Prior InterAction or other CRM knowledge highly preferable.
- Very strong attention to detail and a professional demeanor.
- Ability to perform overtime as necessary.
- Some travel may be required.
- This position will need to attend off-site events where some of these venues require attendees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.