About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Technical Architect is responsible for optimizing, scaling and maintaining all aspects of a complex and expanding web application environment. They will be responsible for partnering with multiple teams and vendors to improve, automate, audit, and enforce Kirkland standards, and implement required levels of stability and security controls to ensure application sustainability and grow potential. The applicant should be able to contribute to business-driven technology roadmaps by proposing robust, reliable, reusable and highly available IT solutions. The candidate must be comfortable operating in complex, diverse technology environment and have experience with delivering integrated, scalable, resilient and mission critical solutions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- The Technical Architect establishes and maintains application level architecture through the stages of planning, design and execution of all new platform buildouts. This includes the design patterns, quality and testing, development operations, and release management as part of the overall solution.
- The Technical Architect is responsible for oversight of solutions architects for application development and DevOps teams for all key infrastructure components with a focus on a cutting edge web application, helping to drive all aspects of delivery.
- Proactively identifies critical areas of technical debt and key performance concerns and solutions to resolve these in support of application capacity and performance requirements.
- Right-size our technical footprint and development solution.
- Coordinate insourced and outsourced resources on a day to day basis
- Future planning and strategy from concept through design and execution
- Works closely with multiple internal teams and third-party vendors to plan, design and execute projects that support our application strategies.
- Provides expert consultation to inform strategic technology and system decisions as well as tactical decisions related to project.
- Listening, drawing out key concepts and articulating advanced technical and non-technical concepts with ease (both written and oral formats) from customers, peers and management at several levels and across the organization with minimal oversight.
- Ability to solicit input from internal and external sources, including the ability to investigate and incorporate best practices from other corporations, experience and sound judgment.
- Shares best practices, lessons learned and constantly updates the technical system architecture requirements based on changing technologies, and knowledge related to recent, current and upcoming vendor products and solutions
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary. Delete if not applicable.)
- Collaborates with other members of the Kirkland management staff and contributes to manager meetings, quarterly summits, etc.
- Does "whatever it takes" to support the tactical and strategic goals of the team and in the Firm.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- BS in Engineering, Information Technology, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years general technology experience, law firm experience a plus
- 6+ years high level server/platform infrastructure design
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Expertise and experience with modern DevOps patterns, practices, and tools
- Project experience with agile frameworks such as Scrum, Kanban, or Lean
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in preparing reports, presentations and documentation.
- Strong active listening skills with demonstrated ability to translate customer and requirements into technical solutions required
- Skilled in communicating technical decisions, risks, and options to non-technical stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and troubleshoot problems with speed and efficiency is required
- Experience with containerization solutions and orchestration platforms, both on-premise and cloud based. Docker, Kubernetes, Azure Kubernetes Service, Rancher
- Experience with supporting technologies such as Redis, MinIO for data storage and Keycloak for multi-factor authentication
- Experience using monitoring tools such as Dynatrace APM and ECK
- Strong knowledge of templating and automation scripting such as Power-shell, Ansible, and Puppet
- Experience with building and maintaining high-availability (>99%), active-active environments
- Strong understanding of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Strong knowledge of Linux Server technologies
- Experience working with Azure PaaS and IaaS, Azure DevOps (SDLC)
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Technical certifications (e.g., Red Hat RHCA/RHCE, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)) a plus.
- For most positions, the below description will suffice. Please discuss with HR if you think you have a position where the below will not be applicable.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.