About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
This position requires substantive experience in commercial real estate transactions on behalf of corporate purchasers, sellers, and private equity clients acting as lenders and investors.
- Review title, survey and zoning and identify material issues
- Review of title commitment for materials issues and work through with title company to resolve and generate a final title policy
- Prepare title and survey response to objection letters and diligence summaries
- Prepare property charts for multi-site transactions and coordinate diligence review
- Review leases and prepare lease abstracts and memorandums
- Review zoning reports and prepare summaries, title reports, summaries and zoning reports.
- Coordinate resolution of title issues with title company, client and opposing counsel
- Coordinate resolution of survey issues with surveyor
- Create tracking charts to monitor title and survey status
- Prepare, distribute and coordinate receipt of landlord consents, estoppel certificates, subordination agreements, and prepare tracking charts and status reports
- Solicit bids for preparation of title and survey and coordinate order of the same
- Oversee Practice Support Assistant’s organization of diligence material for review by attorneys and paralegals
- Consult with young associates and partners on how to handle basic real estate matters
- Provide direct support to clients (using discretion to handle matters directly or involving an attorney)
- Review purchase and sale agreements and prepare closing checklists, critical dates charts
- Coordinate, prepare and/or obtain title clearance documents and releases
- Draft real estate closing documents (deeds, transfer tax forms and declarations, releases, satisfactions, affidavits, assignments, estoppels, owner’s and survey affidavits, gap undertakings, closing statements)
- Coordinate ordering of UCC searches and prepare summaries of search results
- Prepare and file UCC financing statements and amendments
- Create corporate entities and coordinate qualification to do business in foreign jurisdictions
- Compile invoices from various vendors for purposes of adding to funds flow memorandum or disbursement statements
- Coordinate preparation of signature pages and completion of signing and notarization process at closing
- Coordinate delivery of closing documents into escrow and to closing parties
- Assemble closing documents and coordinate preparation of closing book
- Complete and file Form SS-4s to obtain EINs.; order good standing certificates
- Coordinates and conducts library and internet research to obtain real property and/or case relevant data
• Experience with Energy, Oil & Gas leases preferred, but not required
- Any other functions/duties as assigned by management
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Qualified candidates will possess 3+ years of complex commercial real estate experience required within law firm or title insurance company preferred. Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative. Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required. Travel and overtime may be required.
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Paralegal certificate is preferred.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.