About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Typically one IP Litigation Paralegal is assigned to most IP litigation cases, particularly those that are large, complex or multi-party actions. The Paralegal works with all of the attorneys on the matter from the beginning through trial or arbitration, managing the flow of information and ensuring adherence to best practices.
The Paralegals are responsible for managing the files (“case record”) working in all phases of the discovery process, from collection of documents from the client to the production of documents to other parties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
Litigation Case Management
- Obtains information and materials from IP vendors and government agencies, such as the US Patent & Trademark Office
- Certified patents
- Patent file histories and wrappers
- Manages document production processes - hard copy, electronic, etc.
- Collects material from client, opposing parties, and third parties (hard copies, electronic data, physical evidence)
- Maintains chain of custody
- Tracks materials through the process
- Designs and implements document review systems
- Prepares privilege logs
- Manages logistics of production of documents - hard copy, images, native
- Substantive Research
- Analyzes documents and materials
- Performs factual research
- Compiles information into charts, graphs and timelines
- Researches prior testimony and publications of opposing experts
- Researches rules of procedure for relevant court venues, and assures adherence thereto
- Coordinates preparation and filing of briefs and legal documents
- Drafts routine filings (e.g. attorney appearances, notices of filings, notices of motions)
- Legal cite checking, shepardizing (Westlaw, Lexis)
- Fact checking
- Compiles appendices and exhibits
- Blue Book formatting, application of local rules
- Files with court and serves on parties
- Interacts with outside entities (clients, government agencies, expert witnesses, consultants, other law firms, opposing parties, court personnel, etc.)
- Manages Case Calendar for Attorney team
- Updates calendar with deadlines as they arise when discovery is served or court issues orders
- Circulates updated calendars to team with authority provided for each deadline
- Researches Federal, Local, and Patent Rules for Jurisdiction
- Ensure that all deadlines are put into Compulaw
- Manages litigation support systems
- Databases (Concordance, Summation, Access, etc.)
- Transcript management systems (LiveNote)
- Calendaring, task sharing, collaborative systems
- Manages preparation for witnesses and depositions
- Manages preparation of witness & subject files
- Assists in preparation of witness outlines
- Works with expert witnesses
- Manages technical logistics for depositions (remote hookups, electronic transcripts, videography, synchronization)
- Manages trial preparation and trial support
- Compiles and tracks trial exhibits
- Assist with deposition designations for use at trial (TextMap database)
- Prepares pretrial documents
- Tracks time used by each side in court during trial
- Sets up and manages trial offices and trial support (e.g. remote office setup and logistics)
- Manages resources
- Supervises legal staff
- Obtains and supervises support from Firm departments (e.g. Litigation Support, Library Research, Calendaring Department; Graphics Services, Purchasing, Trial Support Services)
- Manages relationships with supporting vendors (graphics, court reporters, trial support, hotels, etc.)
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- This position requires complex Intellectual Property litigation experience, including managing large discovery, creating and managing databases and imaging systems, supervising teams, preparing for trials in Federal court, and managing trial support. Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Should also have experience managing out-of-town trial offices for cases that have gone to verdict. The ideal candidate will possess 3+ years of IP Litigation Paralegal experience. Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative. Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required. Flexibility for travel and overtime required.
- MS Office Suite
- Legal databases and research tools
- US PTO knowledge and experience
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Paralegal certificate preferred
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.