About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The San Francisco office seeks a Legal Recruiting & Development Assistant to provide general administrative support to the Legal Recruiting & Development efforts in our San Francisco and Palo Alto (Bay Area) offices. As part of the global Legal Recruiting & Development (LRD) Department, the Legal Recruiting & Development Assistant will support attorney recruiting, legal education & development, and engagement programs as assigned.
This position requires a high level of collaboration with attorneys and staff and the ability to work independently. This position requires the exercise of independent judgment.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized and possess excellent proofing and communication (oral and written) skills, the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, a very strong attention to detail, and a professional demeanor. Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships among lawyers and staff to achieve results.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Liaise with attorneys and staff across the firm on various LRD initiatives;
- Draft, send and monitor Outlook invitations for various LRD programs;
- Coordinate interviews and consolidate interviewer feedback after interviews;
- Review lateral write-in applications submitted through the viRecruit platform;
- Help monitor the San Francisco Attorney Recruiting Team shared email box as necessary;
- Enter attorney hire data into the Personnel Action Request System (PARS);
- Assist with collection of new hire forms and create orientation schedules for new attorney hires as necessary;
- Coordinate conference room and virtual conference room reservations, catering, and other logistics for various LRD programs;
- Assist with miscellaneous administrative duties such as filing, creating labels, creating name tags, scanning and copying;
- Attend LRD staff meetings;
- Liaise with outside vendors as directed;
- Maintain flexibility regarding occasional off-hour lunch breaks and evening overtime requirements;
- Serve as one of the primary attorney training contacts for the Bay Area;
- Assist with coordination of attorney training programs, such as Kirkland University, Kirkland Litigation University, New Associate Orientation training, Summer Associate Program training, and various local and firmwide training initiatives;
- Monitor and support attorney requirements regarding Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and the New Attorney Training Program of the California State Bar;
- Assist with the biannual internal CLE audit and respond to questions from the Internal Audit team in a thorough and timely fashion;
- Provide reports and information to the firmwide CLE management team upon request;
- Help ensure all aspects of the Learning Management System and CE Manager (CLE management systems) are timely and accurately maintained;
- Distribute, collect and file CLE sign-in sheets, attestation forms and post-program surveys for attorney training programs and ensure attendance and credit are recorded in the CLE management systems;
- Monitor attorney admissions status with the California State Bar and assist with post-admission administrative processes;
- Assist with assembly of CLE departure packets for exiting attorneys;
- Provide administrative support with attorney performance reviews;
- Communicate and collaborate with other offices and administrative teams regarding scheduling, materials, logistical and technical meeting support;
- Inform Department Managers of necessary information related to programming;
- Prepare statistical reports, including attendance reports for training programs;
- Assist with engagement, alumni, pro bono and diversity projects as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary)
- Prepare and distribute department materials
- Assist in meeting support
- Accurate and timely entry of departmental data into various databases
- Maintain files
- Maintain departmental calendars
- Provide event support
- General administrative duties including filing, copying, and document preparation
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working for a law firm is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will be highly organized, possess excellent proofing and communication (oral and written) skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Very strong attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to build relationships among lawyers and staff to achieve results; position requires a high level of collaboration with attorneys and staff and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and using the Internet is required
- Working knowledge of relational databases preferred
- Typing speed of 50+ wpm is required
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.