About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Applications Architect is responsible for the DevOps support, maintenance, upkeep of the tools and infrastructure, and to provide application support for a large web application. He/she/they will perform analysis, design and implementation of solutions that satisfy the application needs. The individual will lead and coordinate deliverables from a technology perspective, following SDLC activities and standards that are consistent with Kirkland best practices. The individual will drive the architecture, business objectives and overall infrastructure in co-operation with the technical architect. This individual must be able to take high level direction, formulate a plan to achieve the goals and execute the plan.
Job duties may include, but are not limited to research, evaluation, and recommendations of enabling technologies. Job responsibilities also include providing production support activities during non-business hours.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Maintains DevOps environment, tools, scripts, configuration etc.
- Review and monitor DevOps activities, logs, and act accordingly.
- Advise 3rd party vendor on approach consistent with Kirkland standards
- Recognize and respond to reported issues in a prompt manner. Resolve problems and perform root cause analysis as required and improvise processes and procedures using best practices.
- Support changes affecting DevOps infrastructure and application environments. Collaborate with members of the Application Development team to understand technology and standards at Kirkland; align project approach with Kirkland standards as appropriate.
- Work closely with project Technical Architect to understand strategic direction for application and guide tool per that direction.
- Release management and deployment, including participation in on-call rotation for after hours devops/ application support.
- Assist/support in troubleshooting production and non-production environment issues with configuration, code, or 3rd-party dependencies and integrations.
- Investigates operational or systematic problems and provides resolution using intermediate analytical skills and tools as necessary.
- Configuration management of existing and new server infrastructure, maintenance, updates, and migrations ensuring known state across environments.
- Maintain application security, design and documentation according to legal compliance requirements and Security governance directions.
- Manage environmental (infrastructure, code versions, and data) differences.
- Create process and change control documentation.
- Maintain up-to-date awareness of current and future directions of business industry and associated technologies.
- Investigate and document present procedures as liaison with user departments.
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary. Delete if not applicable.)
- Effectively listens to understand and articulates technical and non-technical information (both written and oral formats) to customers, peers and/or management in a one-on-one or team context with some oversight.
- Upkeep of documentation and wiki pages around DevOps/application areas.
- Participate in change control meetings, review, and RCA meetings.
- Ability to solicit input from internal and external sources, including the ability to investigate and weigh best practices from other firms, analyze input and use sound judgment.
- Provides manager with supporting information and recommendation for key decisions; demonstrates keen judgment in knowing when to escalate for approval. Follows all change management, and all required procedures, per documented Firm and IT policies and procedures.
- Involved in anticipating problem troubleshooting scenarios and analyzing ways in which to avoid the problem completely or greatly mitigate its risk. The goal is to minimize the trade-offs between cost containment and/or timeliness of service so that both are somewhat achievable.
- Does "whatever it takes" to support the tactical and strategic goals of the team and in the Firm.
- Recognized as a positive, full engaged, highly responsive and effective team member.
- Recognizes and defuses complex interpersonal issues effectively while managing customer expectations. Sets follow up steps in accordance with best practices.
- Negotiates skillfully and compromises in very difficult situations to build relationships internally and externally for the team.
- Manages organizational development by dissecting complex situations and refocusing on the most critical technology tasks.
- Contributes through technical expertise/professional experience in solving problems and/or delivering on opportunities facing the team or group.
- Provides feedback to management on strategic recommendations. Fosters environment of innovation and change.
- Aligns changes with the organization's strategic direction and objectives and customer expectations.
- Recognizes the scope of problems and understands the impact of changes on others.
- Understands short and long-range organizational needs.
- Creates a clear focus on internal and external customer needs.
- Promotes cooperation.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the application of the Firm’s project management and software development (SDLC) methodology.
- Reports on progress and project milestones.
- Frequently updates teams and management via formal presentations.
- Focuses on outcomes and achieves results.
- Strong and growing knowledge of and experience with at least one technology (e.g., architecture, design).
- Understands multiple projects in order to integrate them into business solutions.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Degree/Diploma in Computer Science or similar disciplines or equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in area of DevOps, scripting an asset.
- 10+ years of IT experience with a 3+ years of software development experience (preferred)
- 5+ years of DevOps and application support experience in a fast paced environment. (preferred)
- Strong understanding of the software development life cycle and the various methodologies. (required)
- Thorough understanding of the various tools and technologies around devops, such as, version control, environment build tools, CI/CD automation tools –Azure DevOps (preferred)
- Sound knowledge of version control systems and configurations –Git, TFVC in Azure DevOps
- Knowledge of MS .Net, and .Net core. (required)
- Fairly decent hands on working knowledge around Linux and Windows based systems – (Microsoft IIS, Nginx preferred) (required)
- Knowledge and hands on scripting experience in languages, and ability to debug scripts and configurations. (Windows PowerShell, Bash, MSBuild preferred) (preferred)
- Knowledge and hands on with database query languages (TSQL, PostgreSQL preferred)
- Comfortable in working with cloud and on-prem environments – Azure, containers etc. (required)
- Dynatrace, ELK or other server and application performance monitoring (APM) tools (preferred)
- Understanding of secure coding best practices including OWASP top 10 and other potential application vulnerabilities, and securing infrastructure layer to mitigate attack vectors (including undesirable information disclosure at the server and make recommendations at the application level) (required)
- Syncfusion Coverity or other SAST/DAST/IAST tools and their configuration (preferred)
- Understanding of SSL certificates and management (required)
- Understanding of F5 load balancing/APM capabilities (required)
- Familiarity with identity management with ADFS, Azure AD, and SAML client configuration (required)
- Familiarity with DNS record management (required)
- Familiarity with network traffic diagnostics with packet capture tools such as Fiddler, WireShark (preferred)
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.