About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Human Resources (HR) Specialist provides essential support for key functions of the HR Department for the Kirkland and Ellis Dallas office. Specifically, the HR Specialist serves as the first point of contact for local inquiries regarding HR policy and procedure. Primary duties include assisting in handling sensitive employee relations matters, conducting benefits orientations and handling related inquiries, answering payroll and benefits-related questions, on-boarding/off-boarding of employees and partners, and assisting employees with leave of absences. Additionally, the HR Specialist will support staff recruiting activities, assist with new hire orientation, and perform other activities related to the general administration of the HR department. The individual will report to and work closely with the Senior Manager, Human Resources located in the Houston office, while will also “dotted line” reporting to the Office Manager who will have input on the HR Specialist’s job scope, ability to provide them direction as needed, and weigh-in on performance; all in tandem with the Senior Manager, Human Resources. This position requires solid human resources experience specifically with employee relations, adequate benefits expertise, extensive knowledge of state and federal regulations and employment law, technical proficiency in various human resources applications, and absolute commitment to client service.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Provide customer support to partners, associates and employees on general human resources, benefit and payroll questions and issues
- Track open issues through to satisfactory resolution, keeping the relevant individuals and departments informed of issues and progress
- Investigate discrepancies, propose solutions, and manage resolution efforts with various departments at the Firm including, HR, Payroll, Benefits, LOA, and Timekeeping proactively
Benefits and Leave of Absence Administration
- Provide Leave of Absence support for Dallas office in coordination with the Firmwide Benefits Department
- Liaison with internal teams regarding medical, dental, vision, life, LTD and other health & welfare benefit enrollment changes
- Participate in annual Open Enrollment local office events and support
- Perform diverse duties in the administration of employee benefits functions and coordinate work with other departments, including the Firmwide Payroll, HR, and Benefits teams, and more specifically on a local level, Attorney Recruiting
- Coordinate Annual Wellness and Financial Fair Activities, in conjunction with annual open enrollment process, including serving as liaison with vendors, assisting with budget projections for event and assisting with day of event activities.
Compliance & Employee Relations
- Respond to questions regarding HR policies and procedures, including leave of absence policies and processes
- Be knowledgeable of Firm policies and federal and state regulations on health & welfare benefits and employment law
- Share information with department team members, Firmwide HR staff and other departments as appropriate
- Maintain the files on communication documents and templates so they are current and compliant with applicable employment laws
- Assist with proper communication maintenance in the Firm’s intranet site, posting appropriate documents and other items
- Regularly review of the firm policy manual, specifically, what is distributed to new hires on their first day, up to date as well as required government forms (withholding, I-9, etc.)
- Advise on employment relation issues considering current employment laws and firm internal policies
- Under the direction and guidance of the Senior Manager, Human Resources handle and resolve sensitive and confidential employee relations matters
- Under the direction and guidance of the Senior Manager, Human Resources conduct investigations per Kirkland process, taking notes, conducting interviews, and seeing to resolution if necessary
Onboarding and Offboarding
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward company goals
- Coordinate exit check-outs with departing attorneys and staff; perform exit interviews
- Process sensitive terminations and handling of confidential documents
Department Administrative Responsibilities
- Complete employment verification requests
- Coordinate/prepare items for payroll (payroll orders, direct deposit forms, etc.)
- Handle day-to-day department administrative tasks. Complete additional assignments as back up when other staff members are away.
- Perform employee verifications
- File materials into personnel and performance review files; maintain complete records and keep them organized
- Prepare documentation required for personnel changes such as changes in name, marital status, address, phone number, position, salary, status, practice area and office; notify relevant departments of the changes
- Prepare reports and/or queries from HRIS system upon request
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary. Delete if not applicable.)
- Have a “dotted line” reporting structure to the Office Manager to maintain continuity, keep them informed of happenings, and take direction on local initiatives
- Liaise with teams supporting Dallas HR processes like Time Keeping, Staff Recruiting, Firmwide HR Operations, etc.
- Maintain and track performance evaluations for exempt and non-exempt staff
- Respond to unemployment claims and subpoenas
- Maintain I-9 and Visa information
- Compile and send attendance, headcount and personnel reports as requested to the administrative leadership
- Assist Senior Manager, Human Resources with various special projects
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Qualifications include a either a SHRM-SCP, PHR, Bachelor’s degree in HR or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of HR experience
- Considerable initiative, outstanding customer service skills, exemplary integrity and discretion, and the ability to learn quickly. Must have a high energy level, can-do attitude, and high standards for personal performance.
- Work requires excellent proofreading skills, organizational skills, acute attention to detail, excellent follow-through skills, an ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization, as well as keen judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Individual must have the ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, be able to multi-task, meet concrete deadlines as well as be a solid team player.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.