About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring the successful overall and day-to-day operation of the general support departments within the Houston office. In collaboration with the Director of Administration, this position is responsible for directing the implementation of operations policies and initiatives for the following departments: General Services, Conference/ Guest Services, Facilities, Mailroom, and Digital Services/ Reprographics. He / She is responsible for the seamless service delivery and smooth operation of these departments through continuous process improvement, effective management, training, and development of all managers, supervisors, coordinators, and staff members in these departments, while executing and maintaining a high level of customer service and team approach to the daily operations. The Operations Manager also oversees the operation of the outsourced food services, all outside copy services, and maintains other applicable vendor relationships for the office. Experience in achieving efficient space utilization and working knowledge of directing internal construction projects is essential. This position is best suited to an individual knowledgeable in agile process, project and change management practices and comfortable with exercising a high degree of independent judgment and discretion.
- Ensures proper functioning of the above support services departments in accordance with firm policies, goals, and commitments
- Produces and monitors utilizations reports for senior management
- Maintains and applies working knowledge of accounting procedures:
- Analyzes, negotiates, and facilitates payment of all vendor invoices
- Properly tracks and reports on all financial aspects of the departments they oversee
- Creates and manages an annual budget for each of their departments
- Manages different day to day functions, technology, and staff including:
- Facilities - oversees staff members in the department, communicates and negotiates with vendors, and work directly with building management on any maintenance, or security related issues; will oversee the management of the security system for the Houston office in close collaboration with the FW Security Manager.
- Conference Services/ Reception - oversees staff members in the department, assist in the resolution of any conference center related issues, and ensure smooth coordination between Conference Services and Foodservice, Conference Technology/ IT, and Facilities departments.
- Digital Services - oversees and works closely with the Digital & Delivery Services Supervisor who is responsible for the maintenance, upgrades and configuration of copiers, printers, scanners, multi-functional devices, and other reprographics and digital services software and equipment; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements; ensure all service level expectations are met.
- Mailroom/ General Services - oversees and works closely with the Digital & Delivery Services Supervisor responsible for the maintenance, upgrade and configuration of all mailroom related equipment, postage meters and other mailroom equipment; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements; ensure all service level expectations are met;
- Food Service – oversees daily operation of outsourced food service vendor ensuring a high level of customer service as well as a consistently high quality product; in collaboration with the FW Guest Services guidelines will set pricing for daily catering activities and special events, analyze monthly invoice and review all client and office related charges; review and negotiate service agreements and annual budgets; budget for and purchase catering equipment as necessary.
- Purchasing - oversees upkeep and accuracy of purchasing materials, supply procurement and pricing, and will be responsible for ensuring all vendor coordination is in line with firm policies; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements in close collaboration with Strategic Sourcing department; ensure all service level expectations are met; adhere to and enforce the Firm’s purchase policies.
- Inventory - Will maintain and report on inventory levels for various office support supplies for each of their departments, and ensure proper levels are maintained and usage is accounted for.
- Space utilization & construction/re-modelling - Work closely with the Director of Administration on space utilization and actively propose and provide solutions on space planning, among others, for seasonal accommodation of Summer Associates and incoming First Years. Manage the process for general attorney office assignments, office moves, and visitor spaces; work closely with secretarial services and Legal Recruiting on logistical issues.
- Responsible for participating in recruiting, hiring, developing and evaluating all regular, contracted/ temporary employees and outside vendors.
- Responsible for submitting, monitoring and maintaining control of the general support services budget for Facilities, Mailroom, Digital Services, Conference Services/ Reception, and Food Service departments within the Houston office.
- Will work with all levels of staff including the Houston administrative leadership team to implement firm-wide policies and ensure cross-functional communication meets standards and are - proactively -upheld by all teams.
- Manage and provide performance feedback to the departmental managers, supervisors, coordinators, and support staff.
- Recommend staffing needs for these departments, including new positions, new hires, and terminations.
- Ensure all support staff have adequate resources to fulfill their job responsibilities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional and firm-wide teams responsible for analyzing and recommending applications to ensure the Firm’s ability to provide excellent services to its staff and clients.
- Planning, executing, tracking and reporting on all general support services-related operations activities.
- Any other functions/duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree, equivalent work experience will be considered
- Superior customer service, professional communication, and leadership abilities
- Competence in performance management, agile project management, change management and time management
- Expertise in providing high-quality support services, including his / her first-rate capability of directing continuous process improvement including identifying, analyzing, and problem-solving service-related issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of software, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to accurately collect, analyze and report on data for all functional areas.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.