About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Litigation Case Management under the direct supervision of a Senior Paralegal:
- Assist with document production processes - hard copy, electronic, etc.: Collects material from client, opposing parties, and third parties (hard copies, electronic data, physical evidence). Maintains chain of custody. Tracks materials through the process. Designs and implements document review systems. Prepares privilege logs. Manages logistics of production of documents - hard copy, images, native.
- Substantive Research: Analyzes documents and materials. Performs factual research. Compiles information into charts, graphs and timelines. Researches prior testimony and publications of opposing experts. Researches rules of procedure for relevant court venues, and assures adherence thereto.
- Coordinates preparation and filing of briefs and legal documents: Legal cite checking, shepardizing (Westlaw, Lexis). Fact checking. Compiles appendices and exhibits. Blue Book formatting, application of local rules. Files with court and serves on parties.
- Interacts with outside entities (clients, government agencies, expert witnesses, consultants, other law firms, opposing parties, court personnel, etc.)
- Work with litigation support systems: Databases (Concordance, Summation, Access, etc). Transcript management systems (LiveNote). Calendaring, task sharing, collaborative systems.
- Support preparation for witnesses and depositions: Manages preparation of witness & subject files. Assists in preparation of witness outlines. Works with expert witnesses. Support technical logistics for depositions (remote hookups, electronic transcripts, videography, synchronization).
- Support trial preparation and trial support: Compiles and tracks trial exhibits. Prepares pretrial documents. Sets up and manages trial offices and trial support (e.g. remote office setup and logistics).
- Arrange resources: Obtains support from Firm departments (e.g. Litigation Support, Graphics Services, Purchasing, Trial Support Services). Maintain relationships with supporting vendors (graphics, court reporters, trial support, hotels, etc.).
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Any other functions/duties as assigned by direct supervisor or management
Qualifications & Requirements
This position works under the direct supervision of a Senior Paralegal and requires exposure to complex litigation, including large discovery, creating and databases and imaging systems, preparing for trial, and trial support. Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Should have 2 years of experience. Demonstrated history of proposing and implementing process improvements is a plus. Travel and overtime will be required.
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Bachelor's Degree or ABA paralegal certificate required.
- Must meet the requirements of California Business and Professions Code Section 6450
- Strong coordination and teamwork skills;
- Planning and organization skills, including the ability to manage a number of projects concurrently;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- A proactive approach and the ability to work "hands-on" as required;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Experience with cite checking and blue booking
- Solid experience preparing and working at trials and hearings including working with court reporters and preparing exhibits for depositions.
- Experience filing documents with various courts (via ECF and using traditional hard copy methods)
- Proficiency in the use of law office software, including Word, Excel, Adobe and PPT; and document management systems (DMS)
- Proficiency in the use of e-discovery and deposition transcript tools (e.g. Relativity/ TextMap/Livenote)
- IP Experience a Plus
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- ABA Paralegal certificate preferred
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.