About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
As a member of the Managing Attorney's Office, the Assistant Managing Clerk will be responsible for providing the Firm with a high-level of procedural analysis in state and federal courts, reviewing filings as to form and content, and providing expertise and guidance to attorneys on litigation court rules, civil procedure, filing, and calculating deadlines. This person will work closely with and provide oversight to the regional offices to ensure compliance with procedural rules and Firmwide litigation calendar and case docketing.
The Assistant Managing Clerk must have strong service orientation, excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, intellectual curiosity, knowledge of federal and local court rules and litigation practices, and be pro-active in improving business processes to use Firm resources efficiently.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide direction to and collaborate with other members of the Managing Attorney’s Office to maintain the Firm’s litigation docket and calendar.
- Provide guidance, advice, and training to attorneys with respect to policy and procedure in New York State and Federal Courts and advise attorneys on court rules and civil procedure, including court and judge research at the direction of attorneys as well as advise attorneys on motion practice.
- Monitor and disseminate new rule and procedural updates.
- Review/audit the Firm’s master litigation calendar, including notification processes and individual attorney calendars. Prepare additional calendar reports upon request.
- Coordinate and if necessary, perform court services functions (i.e., retrieving court documents, reviewing and filing documents, and coordinating process servers).
- Responsible for filing protocols in assigned courts. Proficient in all filing rules, procedures, and judge's individual practices. Work closely with other members of the Managing Attorney’s Office to communicate deadlines to the litigation teams in advance, coordinating the staff and resources needed for timely filing, confirming confidential material has been redacted, reviewing the filing for both content and format compliance with court rules, recommending corrections to the responsible attorneys, submitting a correct filing to the court, and completing the process with the distribution of courtesy copies, communications to the litigation team, and other procedures.
- Keep current on industry standards and determine if procedures need to be updated.
- Manage all case-specific information in responsible jurisdictions and assist regional offices as necessary.
- Monitor case progress in assigned courts, obtain decisions and orders, obtain docket updates, and communicate case status change to responsible attorney.
- Coordinate work projects with other members of the Managing Attorney’s Office and regional offices. (Docket audit, outstanding motion lists, appeals list, business development list).
- Responsible for gathering, maintaining, and disseminating information on recommended counsel and vendors.
- Review and organize litigation materials and resources to allow efficient access and reuse of materials by attorneys.
- Use research platforms to provide high-level legal research with respect to procedural and strategic issues across many jurisdictions.
- Oversee and assist with mentoring and training of junior team members.
- Develop efficient procedures and communications, which streamline processes and support various department needs.
- Review daily court filing alerts for client and business development purposes and if request, compile a daily email notice of new filings.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required
- The qualified candidate will possess 5-7 years of related experience.
- Knowledge and competence in calendaring systems, electronic filing in state and federal courts, and web-based research skills
- Working knowledge of CPLR and FRCP
- Experience using CompuLaw and CourtAlert
- Excellent organizational, communication, analytical, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail
- Exhibit a high level of customer service orientation
- General familiarity with best practices regarding docketing, calendaring, and record keeping as they relate to loss prevention issues in the legal environment
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills
- Superior organizational and time management skills, including the ability to multitask with changing priorities to meet strict deadlines
- The ability to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information
- Superior client service and litigation support skills
- The ability to work independently, take initiative, and be proactive
- Possess professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills and the ability to work cohesively and constructively with all levels of Firm personnel
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as needed
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.