About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
This role supports the Information Governance (IG) team. The IG team at Kirkland is responsible for managing and executing services and projects governing the Firm’s client and administrative data / information in accordance with ethical, legal and contractual requirements.
This Information Governance Specialist position supports the following areas under the direction of Associate Director of Risk Management / Director of Risk Management / Senior Director of Risk Management.
Electronic Data Discovery
Assist with the collection of information related to subpoenas directed to the Firm, as well as information requests from internal teams. Duties include:
- Coordinate with in-house counsel to collect electronic data for internal review.
- Create and refine searches to identify relevant material for attorney review using litigation software.
- Perform searches in Relativity and Capax Archive Solution (CAS).
- Process collections for production, and resolve processing errors.
- Assist with creating and updating process and best practices documentation
- Provide training and user support to lawyers, paralegals and other support staff on litigation technology software and systems.
- Assist attorneys with document review.
- Prepare documents for delivery to outside parties as required.
Legacy Data Disposition
Ensure that the following activities occur in accordance with Firm approved information governance policies and procedures. Duties include:
- Develop guidance, processes, and tools / controls to ensure Firm data is structured and secured appropriately.
- Utilize database skills to effectively analyze large data sets.
- Develop migration strategies and validation techniques to ensure data integrity of core Client data across Firm systems.
- Use automation tools to migrate data from unstructured repositories to secure storage.
The Information Governance Specialist is expected to:
- Identify and contain risk relating to information management, and foster a compliance culture.
- Provide input to management for practical recommendations and solutions to complex and/or technical issues that relate to the management of client and Firm administrative information.
- Lead cross functional teams to ensure appropriate governance of information management practices at the Firm.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of supporting procedures and processes.
- Serve as liaison to, and foster good working relationships with, attorneys and others needing assistance with information governance issues.
- Assist with responding to information requests from partners and other internal and external parties.
- Respond proactively to both business and project issues and escalates appropriately.
- Perform duties outside of scheduled work hours, as needed to meet the business demands of the Firm.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- An accredited undergraduate degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of e-discovery experience.
- Law firm or legal industry experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating, securing, using, and administering Relativity workspaces, including the processing and loading of data.
- Understanding of the litigation lifecycle and its impact on eDiscovery.
- Working knowledge of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM).
- Working knowledge of electronic data storage applications, SQL and SSRS.
- Candidates with an educational background from a wide variety of disciplines including information technology, legal, compliance, information management, and/or records management or equivalent experience will be considered.
- This position requires a self-motivated, creative, and detail-oriented individual with a strong knowledge of information management and/or information governance processes and technologies.
- Aptitude and interest in information technologies, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills is necessary.
- Must be capable of analyzing data, understanding technology, effectively prioritizing tasks/projects, and communicating complex and/or technical topics relating to IG to those who have no prior knowledge of the Firm’s systems and policies.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, time management, recordkeeping, analytical, planning and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Solid working knowledge and understanding of Records Management / Information Governance principles and/or in-depth knowledge of software development lifecycles including agile development and testing.
- Experience using and/or administering Autonomy WorkSite, Shared Drives, Share Point, and LegalKEY.
- Business analysis experience.
- Core Technologies - Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Relativity
- Preferred Technologies - SQL, Legal Software
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Relativity Certified Administrator preferred
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.