About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
- Work on matter from the beginning through trial or arbitration, managing the flow of information and ensuring adherence to best practices.
- Develop solid working relationships with attorneys.
- Improve processes through the application of new technology.
- Interact with vendors and government agencies (e.g. Patent & Trademark Office) to obtain information and materials, such as certified copies of patents, file histories and file wrappers.
- Manage the files (“case record”) including correspondence, memos, pleadings, and client documents in a matter, and monitor deadlines by creating and maintaining calendars of key dates.
- Work in all phases of the discovery process, from collection of documents from the client to the production of documents to other parties.
- Manage the document review process to identify and track potentially responsive, confidential and privileged materials.
- Compile information necessary to respond to interrogatories, document requests and requests for admission served on clients.
- Set up databases, obtaining assistance and support as necessary from Litigation Support and from outside vendors.
- Manage litigation support systems including Relativity, TextMap, Concordance and Live Note.
- Prepare for and manage depositions by preparing witness files, compiling and organizing exhibits, arranging the technical logistics with court reporting agencies, researching prior testimony and publications, and tracking materials sent to the experts.
- Manage deposition transcripts and exhibits, and maintain searchable computer databases of testimony.
- During the briefing process, checks legal and fact cites, ensures proper formatting style, assemble and organize the exhibits and supporting documents and arrange for filing with the court and serving on all parties.
Qualifications & Requirements
- This position requires complex IP litigation experience, including involvement in large discovery, creating and managing databases and imaging systems, supervising teams, preparing for trials in Federal court, and managing trial support.
- Must have experience with a range of litigation support applications.
- Preferred experience with out-of-town trial offices for cases that have gone to verdict.
- The ideal candidate will possess 3+ years of IP Litigation paralegal experience.
- Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Flexibility for travel and overtime required a must.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.