About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Business Intake Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Firm’s Business Intake teams, systems and processes. The Business Intake Manager reports to the Associate Director Operations, Business Intake and Conflicts, and directly manages the Business Intake Supervisors for new client and matter acceptance, business intake compliance and business intake services.
The Business Intake Manager has these core responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Office of the General Counsel and Risk Management leadership, ensure that the activities of the Business Intake teams align with Firm risk management policies and goals, utilize industry best practices, and support the ethical obligations of lawyers as defined in the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Maintain high standards for customer service and quality control.
- Deliver prompt results that take into account the unique needs of the attorneys and staff.
- Manage issues related to staff hiring, personnel coaching and improvement, and termination.
- Develop, implement and oversee all training programs for new and established staff, including quality assurance protocols.
- Review complicated and sensitive business intake issues, and escalate appropriately for resolution.
- Collect and report metrics that document work volumes and throughput time.
- Work closely with the Associate Director Operations Business Intake & Conflicts, and the Business Intake team to ensure coordination of systems, workflow and outcomes.
- Develop strong working relationships with attorneys, legal support staff and staff in other Firm administrative departments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee processes being actioned by all business intake teams (Services, Acceptance and Compliance). Ensure the appropriate allocation of resources to all business intake functions, and adequate coverage outside of normal work hours. Develop and apply quality assurance protocols to all business intake processes and procedures to ensure consistent and accurate fulfillment of requests.
- Manage the daily workflow to ensure that policies and processes associated with new client, new matter, and revisions to existing client matter data are met. Establish intake protocols and monitor work product for consistency and accuracy of forms and reports.
- Assist attorneys and staff in the identification and resolution of potential risk associated with new clients, new matters for existing clients and revisions to existing clients or matters. Consult with attorneys, management and Office of the General Counsel as necessary to receive guidance on the identification and resolution of conflicts of interest and business related issues discovered during the intake process.
- Develop and maintain information security policies and procedures while utilizing existing technology to establish and perform maintenance on exclusive and inclusive information barriers.
- Responsible for engagement letter and outside counsel guidelines review, indexing, tracking and reporting.
- Oversee the organization and collaboration of scheduled assignments and projects related to client matter data quality and reporting.
- Review, assess, and recommend process, procedure, and technology improvements to ensure consistent quality, customer service, and efficiency. Consistently review current processes and procedures for potential improvement through scheduled audits.
- In conjunction with Business Intake and Conflicts leadership, manage staffing needs for the dedicated Business Intake teams, including new positions, new hires, performance evaluations, employee improvement plans, and terminations. Directly oversee the Business Intake Supervisors.
- Manage, supervise, and evaluate members of the team dedicated to business intake. Organize training of new employees, including documentation updates, on-gong training sessions, and scheduled peer review. Meet regularly with members of the team.
- Develop and implement training programs for newly hired staff. Develop training and educational programs for in-place staff, with concentrated focus on the Rules of Professional Conduct related to business acceptance, conflicts of interest, internal department resources (such as templates and procedural guidance), Firm policies and procedures, systems and technologies used in the conflicts and business intake processes, and training to improve written communication. Ensure the ongoing professional development of Business Intake supervisors, including advanced subject matter and systems training, training on supervision, and Firm human resources policies and procedures.
- Conduct root-cause analysis of problems and issues as they arise, and administer appropriate solutions as approved.
- Develop and maintain library of forms, templates, exemplar language and other resources used by Business Intake staff during the performance of their duties.
- Collaborate with department management to deliver performance and process statistical reports on a quarterly, annual, and ad hoc basis.
- Be available for urgent and confidential situations, including evenings and weekends. Be available 24/7 via mobile device.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess more than 7 years of related experience, including law firm business acceptance, conflicts searching or similar process management/risk management experience required. A minimum of 3 years of management and leadership experience is required. Must have the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects at once while meeting deadlines and to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. Four-year college degree required, advanced degree preferred. Studies in areas directly applicable to the duties described above (e.g. business administration, project management, management, paralegal/legal assistant, and finance) desirable but not required. Professional and educational experience strongly considered.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.