About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Digital Services Specialist serves as the digital image and mailroom expert within the General Services department. The Specialist is responsible for providing staff with a wide variety of digital document processing services and mail-related requests. Under minimal supervision, the Specialist performs complex tasks involving the use of document scanners, printing equipment, and media duplicators.
Essential Job Funtions:
- Ensure the highest level of customer care
- Assist walk-in customers, answer incoming phone calls and monitor the department email account
- Conduct technical, capacity and workflow assessment of the customer’s desired output and determine what is needed to complete the job
- Offer advice, guidance, and suggestions to staff to ensure efficient use of department services and capabilities
- Keep customer informed regarding job status
- Ensure on-time delivery of all completed work requests
- Coordinate internal resources or vendor services as needed to meet customer needs
- General Production Tasks
- Operate production printers, scanners, and copiers
- Cross train in all areas of production such as copy, binding, cutting, drilling, and folding
- Troubleshoot and maintain production equipment
- Support financial results by minimizing waste and rework, utilizing equipment and supplies in a cost-effective manner
- Receives, sorts, delivers, picks up and processes courier items, interoffice mail, magazines, and all classes of United States Postal Services (USPS) mail.
- Tracks courier and accountable items (FedEx, UPS, Certified Mail, etc.)
- Researches and routes unidentified and generic mail.
- Coordinates, stages, and transports bulk mail items.
- Receives, logs, delivers and tracks messenger items.
- Coordinates and processes customized packaging and other customer special requests.
- Complete various scan projects and requests using high-volume production MFDs and the eCopy scanning platform
- Prepare, scan and reassemble original documents
- Send scanned image via email or desktop for processing, conversion, clean-up, naming, and storage.
- Scan color documents and photographs
- Diagnose and correct image quality problems
- Check document quality before, during and after processing
- Convert file formats as required
- Create searchable PDFs
- Create single and multi-page TIF files
- Perform OCR on images to make searchable or convert to an editable format
- Index, store, retrieve electronic documents on mass storage devices, network drives, and document management system
- Perform complex print operations and print processing tasks
- Complete various black and white and color print requests using high-volume production MFDs
- Print application (.doc, .xls, .wpd, .mbd, .mpp, .vsd, .htm) and image (.pdf, .tif, .jpg) files sent via email or from media/storage
- Print email messages and attachments from media and email links (.pst, .nsf)
- Identify, download, name, save and print files from Dataroom sites and electronic document repositories
- Format documents for printing
- Search and print documents from the Document Management System
- Print entire websites including all links
- Configure job processing software and applications to manage job queues, process files, and print jobs
- Manage and monitor the order and execution of files in a printer’s job queue
- Diagnose and correct print quality problems
- Perform quality control checks on print jobs including print quality, job alignment, paper stock and material used in the printing process
- File Processing, Conversion, and Storage
- Import and export files for processing
- Troubleshoot electronic document transfer and retrieval issues
- Convert application files to PDF image files
- Use OCR software to convert image files to editable word processing files
- Convert compressed files (.zip, .dat) to application or image files and print or return via email
- Create complex PDF documents by using bookmarks and links
- Complete various media duplication projects and requests using multi-unit media burners
- Burn master CD/DVD of scanned images
- Create CD/DVD from audio and video files
- Create and apply custom labels to disks
- Check media quality before, during and after processing
Graphics, Multimedia, and Related Tasks
- Assist internal departments such as Document Services, Client Services, Attorney Training, Recruiting and Development with formatting, creating, printing and assembling presentation, training, signage and display materials
- Produce job proofs for customer review and approval
- Check document quality before, during and after processing
- Create customized labels including Bates, exhibit, and media labels
- Convert, create and save audio (.mp3, .wav) and video files
Clerical and Other Duties
- Responsible for creating and entering all Digital Services Job Tickets
- Will be cross-trained with other duties to be able to cover for absences whenever necessary
- Clean and stock department supplies as necessary
- Deliver completed work requests to customers as required
- Adhere to safety/security procedures to ensure document security and confidentiality
- Provide project and task leadership to less experienced staff
- Record accurate billing information for all completed work on a daily basis
- Maintain accuracy of required reports, logs, and measurements
- Perform duties and special requests as assigned by management
Qualifications & Requirements
The Specialist will have a strong knowledge of mailroom and delivery practices as well as experience in a combined mailroom and digital production copy/print environment. Strong typing skills are required as are solid overall computer skills including extensive working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), Visio, Adobe applications (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator), internet and web-based applications, messaging applications, and the Microsoft operating system. Familiarity with the eCopy scanning platform as well as Canon and Xerox multi-functional devices is preferred. Some experience troubleshooting and diagnosing common network, hardware and software problems is a definite plus.
The Specialist must demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to achieve results by pulling together appropriate internal resources and external vendors. The duties and tasks required in this position reflect substantial variety and complexity; assignments are broad and often require originality and ingenuity. The ability to solve practical problems and deal with a range of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists is essential. The position requires creative problem-solving skills, outstanding judgment and excellent decision making to meet and exceed customer expectations.
In addition to the technical skills and experience required, the Specialist must have very strong communication skills, both written and oral, and be extremely responsive, customer service oriented, committed to quality and deadline driven. Also required is strong attention to detail, outstanding organizational skill, a high degree of concentration, patience, professionalism and the ability to multi-task, all within a fast-paced, rapidly expanding and evolving work environment. A motivated self-starter with the demonstrated ability to work independently along with the ability to collaborate on projects and participate in a team-oriented environment is an ideal candidate for this position.
The Specialist must be able to demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Associates degree or post-High school technical training preferred; High school diploma required
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a production document processing environment with one (1) year of experience as a supervisor or department/team lead
- Previous law firm copying/scanning/printing experience or knowledge of legal document processing needs recommended
- Minimum of one (1) year direct customer service experience
- Computer literacy including technical familiarity with printing, imaging, network systems, internet/intranet issues, Microsoft operating systems, and applications
- Ability to manage large centralized reprographic equipment
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in written format with customers and Firm staff
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 40 pounds and spend long periods of time standing
- Ability to work overtime as required by workload, staffing and customer need
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.