About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
As a member of the Voice Network Operations team, provide day-to-day support for the global Kirkland & Ellis voice communications infrastructure. Daily activities include Project Coordination and Planning, Telecommunication Operations, Project Deployment, Provisioning of Telecom Assets, Analysis & Reports, Administrative Support, Perform Troubleshooting of Issues, Vendor Management and End User Support.
- Deploy, maintain and upgrade Avaya Voice Communication components primarily in a VMWare environment. Must understand the deployment and configuration of Avaya System Manager, Session Manager, Communication Manager and Aura Messaging platforms.
- Understanding and working knowledge of deploying components using current virtualization technologies, VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Understand LAN configuration and design for supporting remote updates for endpoints.
- Install, configure and maintain Avaya G650 and G450 gateways.
- Troubleshooting of endpoints, includes TDM, VOIP, SIP and Clients deployed to Apple and Microsoft Platforms
- Troubleshooting carrier issues for both SIP and TDM facilities.
- Respond to Level 1 thru 3 support tickets and provide timely support to end users and peer IT teams.
- Work on IT projects and be able to see project from planning stages to completion.
- Work with new hardware and software technologies and be able to understand and learn said technologies to become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) as needed or delegated by manager.
- Work with the Technology Operations team to provide data center support as necessary for server technologies.
- Contributes to identifying new areas of opportunities, techniques and approaches.
- Demonstrates advanced technical skills within technical specialty.
- Able to contribute to technology strategies and road maps.
- Able to contribute to the development of simple financial models and project budgets
- Able to coordinate engineering teams in a moderately complex installation.
- Capable of developing documentation and works plans for a complex solution.
- Able to develop and execute routine test plans for a point solution.
- Provides intermediate Level 3 support. Investigates operational or systematic problems and provides resolution using intermediate analytical skills and tools as necessary.
- Coordinates engineering teams in a matrixed environment.
- Able to use advanced tools to troubleshoot and diagnose complex issues.
- Displays ability to manage vendor interactions.
- Able to execute routine production maturity plans.
- Able to develop and execute routine capacity and performance plans.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
The Telecommunication Engineer must have a BA/BS in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience. Must have 5+ years of telecommunications experience along with 3+ years supporting major implementations in large scale Avaya Voice Communications Environment. Experience with other voice communications, virtualization technologies and IP networking is a plus.
- Listening, understanding and articulating technical and non-technical information (both written and oral formats) to customers, peers and/or management in a one-on-one or team context with some oversight.
- Effective production support activities, including technical writing.
- Documenting small to medium scale projects with supervision, and is involved in developing and delivering presentation.
- Ability to solicit input from internal and external sources, including the ability to investigate and weigh best practices from other firms, analyze input and use sound judgment.
- Is required to make decisions or communicate across organizational boundaries.
- Involved in anticipating problem troubleshooting scenarios and analyzing ways in which to avoid the problem completely or greatly mitigate its risk. The goal is to minimize the trade-offs between cost containment and/or timeliness of service so that both are somewhat achievable.
- Ability to provide exemplary customer service in all interactions.
- Does "whatever it takes" to support the tactical and strategic goals of the team and in the Firm.
- The ability to deliver outstanding customer service at all times.
- Recognized as a positive and motivational force on the team.
- Recognizes and Defuses complex interpersonal issues effectively while managing customer expectations. Sets follow up steps in accordance with best practices.
- Negotiates skillfully and compromises in very difficult situations to build relationships internally and externally for the team.
- Contributes through a high degree of technical expertise/professional mastery in solving critical and complex problems or opportunities facing the team or group.
- Provides feedback to management on strategic recommendations. Fosters environment of innovation and change.
- Aligns changes with the organization's strategic direction and objectives and customer expectations.
- Recognizes the scope of problems and understands the impact of changes on others.
- Creates a clear focus on internal and external customer needs.
- Promotes cooperation.
- Understands taking appropriate risks.
- Proficient in the use of project management software.
- Reports on progress and project milestones.
- Frequently updates teams and management.
- Focuses on outcomes and achieves results.
- Architectural knowledge of key voice systems; core telephony, voicemail, carriers.
- Understands multiple projects in order to integrate them into business solutions.
- Deep understanding of Avaya voice communications platforms in a virtualized, converged environment.
- Skilled at deploying voice platforms as a cloud type service.
- Able to deploy Avaya components in a VMWare environment.
- Knowledge of Linux and Microsoft servers. Maintenance and patching of firmware and security enhancements for voice servers and appliances.
- Understanding of basic Linux command line interface.
- Experience with local area network design. CNA certification a plus.
- Knowledge of hardware vendors and the tools associated with selected vendor products.
- Ability to install, configure and implement hardware (rack, stack, and structured cabling).
- Capable of interpreting messages/alerts from multiples systems to identify potential problems.
- Understand and adhere to Change Control Management policies and implementation standards.
- Understand how voice communications is implemented into the overall security posture of an enterprise.
- Experience working with multiple international locations and carriers is a plus.
Current K&E Telecommunication Technologies
- Avaya Aura Voice Communication environment. Includes Communication Manager, System Manager, Session Manager, Session Border Controller and Messaging components.
- VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization.
- Cisco network environment for switching, routing and firewalls
- Microsoft Skype communication endpoints.
- Carrier cloud voice platforms such as CenturyLink Voice Complete and AT&T ipFlex.
- Polycom and Texiera audio conferencing endpoints.
- Callero call detail recording software.
- RedSky e911 and RedSky Anywhere.
- SPOK/Intellidesk Operators Console client software.
- LAN/WAN technologies
- Understand structured wiring standards and design for large, multistory locations.
Tools and Equipment
- Required to carry wireless device and respond to off hour emergencies. Availability to work nights and weekends as required for systems maintenance and support.
- Use of standard telecommunications and wiring tools as needed.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. It also requires the ability to work safely and maintain standards in data center and technology environments.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.