About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Under direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the Guest Services Assistant supports the delivery of quality service to clients and firm personnel by sorting and distributing incoming mail; picking up and distributing internal mail; processing outgoing mail, courier packages, and the inter-office pouch; sending and receiving fax transmissions; and providing back-up regarding reprographics services; works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment.
Essential functions include those set forth below. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job. Occasional overtime may be required and as such, there may be occasional requirements to adjust work hours by coming in early or staying late in order to provide coverage. Based on business needs, your work schedule may be modified.
- Sorts and Delivers Incoming Mail in a Timely Manner
- Sorts and delivers incoming mail and packages.
- Picks up and delivers mail within the office on a set schedule.
- Delivers incoming courier envelopes and packages.
- Updates the mail delivery cart folders to reflect any changes in office personnel.
- Handles mail addressed to former partners and employees as instructed.
- Processes Outgoing Mail
- Processes outgoing U.S. mail, applying the correct amount of postage through the postage meter.
- Processes outgoing courier envelopes and packages; arranges for specialized courier services as needed.
- Prepares and processes inter-office pouches.
- Assists firm personnel with special mailing needs, such as certified mail.
- Monitors postage meter and alerts supervisor when replenishment or repairs are needed.
- Ensures that billable matter numbers are tracked for courier packages and for U.S. mailings that exceed the designated limit.
- Sends and Receives Fax Transmissions
- Sends and receives fax transmissions in a timely manner; .
- Distributes incoming faxes promptly and accurately.
- Monitors fax equipment and supplies; alerts the supervisor when outside maintenance or additional supplies are needed.
- Reprographics (backup)
- Prepares, collates and binds copies as requested; meets deadlines.
- Tracks cost of each job by appropriately entering billable matter numbers or administrative numbers into the tracking device.
- Ensures quality control by checking to see that all jobs have been copied correctly and in accordance with instructions, that copies are clean, and that the correct number of copies have been made; ensures that the originals and copies are directed back to the appropriate individual.
- Monitors reprographics area, equipment and supplies; alerts supervisor if outside maintenance or additional supplies are needed.
- Works Cooperatively and Collaboratively with Others:
- Provides pro-active and responsive customer service in compliance with the General Services Department Service Standards and Operating Procedures.
- Works cooperatively with other General Services Department staff and other firm personnel.
- Other Related Duties:
- Provides back-up to other General Services staff as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned such as internal office moves and the office shredding program
Qualifications & Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education: A High School Diploma is required.
- Experience: At least two years of prior office experience is required; prior mailroom, fax and reprographics experience is desirable.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong customer service skills
- Effective communication skills and the ability to follow instructions
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and to act quickly while remaining calm and polite
- Proficiency in using a postage machine, fax machine, and copying and binding equipment
- Proficiency in using a computer for data entry and e-mail
- Ability to coordinate multiple assignments concurrently
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and push a mail cart, as well as to lift and carry objects such as packages and boxes weighing up to 50 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, including moderate noise level, an indoor temperate environment, and light levels that are bright and conducive to minimal eye strain, typical for an office environment.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.