This job posting is no longer active
Job ID: 4774
Updated: Sep 24, 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States
Category: Legal Secretary/Practice Asst
About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Junior Practice Assistant is part of our program that includes hands-on training in formatting and revising legal documents specific to our various practice areas (litigation, corporate, intellectual property). Participants will also learn about our firm's administrative departments and the general work environment and culture of Kirkland & Ellis LLP as a whole. Upon successful completion of the Legal Secretary training program, participants will then receive Practice Support Assistant training, which includes additional legal project training, while providing legal secretarial support to attorneys and legal assistants in a variety of practice areas.
Essential functions include those set forth below. Other duties may be assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Practice Assistant Duties
• Type and revise legal documents in MS Word by utilizing Firm-defined Styles and templates to produce a variety of correspondence, reports, memoranda, legal documents and minutes required by assignments.
• Transcribe from dictation, drafts, handwritten notes, voice mail or oral instructions.
• Proofread edited documents for accuracy, quality, grammar and overall content.
• Proactively compose routine correspondence for attorney signature.
• Process information and distribute documents via scanning, e-mail, faxing and photocopying.
• Using comparison software, redline versions of documents against each other.
• Photocopy, assemble and distribute prepared material.
• Review, date stamp, calendar and route incoming mail, correspondence and pleadings.
• Place and receive telephone calls in a courteous, professional manner.
• Organize and maintain filing systems in accordance with Firm procedures and standards.
• Coordinate travel arrangements.
• Coordinate meeting arrangements.
• Prepare daily time sheets for each assigned timekeeper.
• Prepare and track expense reports and reimbursements.
• Coordinate internal procedures for attorney/legal assistant preparation of audit letter responses.
• Create and maintain Rolodex and/or computer address file.
• Assist and organize assignments on a daily basis to ensure that they are prepared for the day’s priorities.
• Oversee office and work independently when assignments are out of the office to ensure that client/attorney needs are met.
• Interact with and serve clients in order to ensure that assignments and Firm are meeting client needs.
• Anticipate and handle work-related emergencies.
• Demonstrate ability to multi-task and prioritize workload amongst assignments.
• Perform routine duties without supervision.
• Advise receptionist of attorney schedules.
• Provide backup reception relief as needed.
• Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned (including attorney/legal assistant/Support Services Supervisor assignments).
• Assist with special projects as needed
• Flexibility to work long hours and travel
Qualifications & Requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education: Associates degree and 1-2 years of prior administrative assistant/secretarial experience is required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. We are seeking self-starters with the ability to multi-task, the skill to work accurately under pressure and the willingness to work as part of a team. The candidate must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively with clients.
Experience: No prior legal experience necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Accurate typing at a net speed of at least 55+ words per minute and proficient in MS Word.
• Customer Service orientation.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to work proactively.
• Strong time management skills; ability to work under pressure in a faced-paced environment, to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently, and to meet deadlines.
• Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
• Availability to work overtime as required.
• All applicants will be required to take a pre-interview MS Word skills assessment test in order to determine their level of proficiency.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as books and files weighing up to 20 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.