About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
As a member of the Server Operations team, provide day-to-day support for the global Kirkland & Ellis server infrastructure. Daily activities include Project Coordination and Planning, Server Operations PSPG's (Policies Standards Procedures Guidelines), Project Deployment, Server Environment Provisioning, Analysis & Reports, Administrative Support, Perform Data Center Analysis and Execution, and Vendor Management & Coordination.
This position is heavily skewed towards security based tasks and initiatives. The applicant must have a deep understanding of Windows security technologies and terminology and will be the SME for identifying, understanding and resolving security vulnerabilities. The position requires heavy collaboration with the security operations and governance teams on server security initiatives and projects.
- Have a deep understanding of Windows operating systems, Active Directory, Group Policies, and Registry with a specific focus on security settings for these technologies.
- Have a deep understanding of security vulnerability scanning and patching tools including Rapid7. Must be able to decipher information in generated reports and formulate remediation strategies for discovered vulnerabilities.
- Deep understanding of Antivirus technologies and malware detection and remediation.
- Familiarity with Microsoft System Center Configuration manager for windows updates deployment.
- Must have experience with patching 3rd party applications such as Adobe, Java, Chrome etc. using central management tools such as SCCM or through PowerShell scripting.
- Deploy, maintain and upgrade VMWare ESXi 6.x and Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 hypervisors. Must understand vCenter and Virtual Machine Manager and be able to perform all essential functions within both applications.
- Install, configure and maintain Cisco UCS server hardware.
- Maintain server environment including deploying new servers, decommissioning servers, troubleshooting issues with existing servers and assisting other IT groups with specific server related tasks such as installing new roles and implementing security team mandated changes and guidelines.
- Respond to Level 1 thru 3 support tickets and provide timely support to other IT groups.
- Work on IT projects and be able to see project from planning stages to completion.
- Work with new hardware and software technologies and be able to understand and learn said technologies to become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) as needed or delegated by manager.
- Work with the Operation Center team to provide local data center support as necessary.
- Contributes to identifying new areas of opportunities, techniques and approaches.
- Demonstrates some advanced technical skills within technical specialty.
- Able to contribute to technology strategies and road maps.
- Able to develop simple financial models and project budgets.
- Able to coordinate engineering teams in a complex installation.
- Capable of developing documentation and works plans for a complex solution.
- Able to develop and execute routine test plans for a point solution.
- Provides intermediate Level 3 support. Investigates operational or systematic problems and provides resolution using intermediate analytical skills and tools as necessary.
- Coordinates and leads engineering teams in a matrixed environment.
- Able to use advanced tools to troubleshoot and diagnose complex issues.
- Displays vendor management skills.
- Able to develop and execute routine production maturity plans.
- Able to develop and execute routine capacity and performance plans.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
The Server Engineer 2 must have a BA/BS in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience. Must have 5+ years of overall technology experience along with 3+ years supporting major implementations in large scale Windows, VMWare and Hyper-V environments.
- Deep understanding of Active Directory, Group Policies, Certificates, and Registry settings.
- Deep understanding of Antivirus technologies. Knowledge of NexGen AV products such as CrowdStrike Falcon is a plus.
- Understanding of SCCM software update and patching methodology desirable.
- Understanding of Cisco UCS Hardware including blade and rack mount servers and Fiber Interconnects.
- Understanding of Cisco UCS software and the ability to manage servers and deploy servers using server profiles.
- Able to configure Microsoft Windows, Basic Linux Operating systems configurations and VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors.
- Knowledge of server maintenance techniques and the ability to apply them consistently across all servers.
- PowerShell coding techniques and the ability to automate processes to implement and manage the server environment effectively.
- Knowledge of networking and load balancing and fail over systems.
- Knowledge of the application of system concepts such as DNS, VMWare vMotion, VMware Storage vMotion, Hyper-V and other server technologies.
- Knowledge of hardware vendors and the tools associated with selected vendor products.
- Ability to install, configure and implement hardware (rack, stack, and cabling).
- Capable of interpreting messages/alerts from multiples systems to identify potential problems.
- Have worked with and adhered to Change Control Management policies and implementation standards.
- Understanding and knowledge of System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) & System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) are extremely helpful.
Tools and Equipment
- Required to carry a blackberry and/or other wireless device and respond to off hour emergencies. Availability to work nights and weekends as required for systems maintenance and support.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.