About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
- Establishing and monitoring all aspects of the Dallas office’s operations such as Paralegals, secretarial services, budget, time keeping, billing, catering, space planning, accounting, records management, reception, office services, mail and messenger services, office maintenance, repairs and maintenance, and supplies, except as limited by the SDA.
- This is a working supervisor role. The Office Manager will supervise, as well as assist with, different operations functional areas:
- Facilities - Will work closely with SDA, Houston to oversee the department, negotiate with vendors, and work directly with building management on any maintenance, or security related issues; will oversee the management of the security system for the Dallas office.
- Conference Services - Will supervise the Receptionist/Operations function, assist in the resolution of any conference center related issues, and ensure smooth coordination between Conference Services and Foodservice, Conference Technology, and Facilities departments.
- Digital Services - Will be responsible for the maintenance, upgrade and configuration of copiers, printers, scanners, multi-functional devices, and other reprographics and digital services software and equipment; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements; ensure all service level expectations are met.
- Mailroom - Will be responsible for the maintenance, upgrade and configuration of all mailroom related equipment, postage meters and other mailroom equipment; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements; ensure all service level expectations are met. Managing the messenger and delivery services of the firm to assure that deliveries are completed in a timely manner.
- Purchasing - Oversee upkeep and accuracy of purchasing database, supply procurement and pricing, and will be responsible for all vendor coordination; will negotiate and adhere to vendor agreements in coordination with the Purchasing & Strategic Sourcing Department; ensure all service level expectations are met; adhere to and enforce the Firm’s purchase policies.
- Space Management - Manage the process for attorney office assignments, office moves, and visitor spaces; work closely with secretarial services on logistical issues; work with local and firm-wide teams on the implementation of space management software, and be the main point of contact for the Dallas office with the vendor. Ensuring appropriate space allocation. Arranging the setup of offices for attorneys and other staff. Ensuring the general upkeep of shared office facilities such as halls, vents, reception areas, employees’ break room and conference rooms, including the cleaning of carpet stains and wall marks.
- Food Service – Manage and oversee office catering requirements to ensure service delivery is up to high standards; analyze monthly invoices and review all client and office related charges; review and negotiate service agreements and annual budgets; budget for and purchase catering equipment as necessary. Overseeing all catering and pantry requests and orders; ensuring that the pantry needs are balanced with budget constraints; reviewing menus for quality control and diversity of choices.
OTHER FUNCTIONS (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Leading periodic meetings with key personnel such as partners, directors, managers, secretarial staff, legal assistants, reception, catering and office services.
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual Dallas Office budget under the direction of the SDA.
- Under the guidance and approval of the SDA, projecting and anticipating personnel needs. Recruiting, screening, testing and hiring such personnel with prior approval.
- Periodic performance reviews with subordinates; escalating issues and including HR guidance where necessary. Creating and implementing development plans.
- Ensuring that the workload of staff is equitably assigned, reassigning work when necessary, and determining work priorities.
- Approving time off, keeping a record of leave time for all staff members, and arranging appropriate coverage
- Maintaining accurate records of all Dallas personnel employed by the firm.
- Providing assistance needed to complete special projects that involve the operations of the firm.
- Other related duties and projects as required.
Qualifications & Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education: Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: 6+ years of Office Manager skills, law firm experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding customer service skills, professional demeanor, discretion and flexibility.
- Strong computer proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite of software (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel), document management, time entry and other law office software used by the firm.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to work proactively.
- Strong time management skills; ability to work under pressure in a faced-paced environment, to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently, and to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Availability to work overtime as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as books and files weighing up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.