Job ID: 7341
Updated: Oct 6, 2023
Location: Los Angeles, CA, United States
Category: Business Development
About Kirkland & Ellis
At Kirkland & Ellis, we are united in our ambition and drive to move forward. We share core values that help us achieve excellence: collaboration, talent empowerment, service, inclusion, respect and gratitude. Our people are our greatest asset, and we invest in the brightest talent and encourage a diversity of perspectives and strengths to create dynamic teams that operate at the pinnacle of their field. Our talented professionals show up every day knowing they will engage in meaningful work, continuous learning and professional development.
As one of the world’s leading law firms, we serve a broad range of clients with market-leading practices in private equity, M&A and other complex corporate transactions; investment fund formation and management; restructurings; high-stakes litigation and trials; and government, regulatory and internal investigations. We handle the most complicated and sophisticated legal matters because we don’t just meet industry standards, we create them. We bring innovation and entrepreneurialism to every engagement and, as a result, have long-standing client relationships with leading global corporations and financial sponsors. With 6,500 employees (including 3,500+ lawyers) operating from 19 offices across the United States, Europe and Asia, we are one of the largest law firms in the world and a top financial performer.
Essential Job Functions
Kirkland & Ellis is one of the world’s leading law firms recognized as a market leader across M&A, commercial litigation, Intellectual Property and restructuring, with approximately 3,000 lawyers practicing from 19 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. We are seeking an Associate Director of Business Development and Marketing to drive business development for Kirkland’s Los Angeles Office. The Business Development Associate Director is a member of Kirkland’s firm-wide business development and marketing department and is responsible for a full range of business development and marketing activities.
The Associate Director of Business Development (Los Angeles) is part of a growing West Coast Business Development team that includes business development professionals in the San Francisco Bay area and Salt Lake City and is part of a larger 150-person international business development team. In this position, you will work closely with the Los Angeles partners to drive business development and marketing initiatives to strengthen relationships with key firm clients as well as to create targeted initiatives to attract new clients.
We are looking for a forward-thinking and creative professional who can be both strategic and hands on. Your primary role will be to learn and tell the firm’s story to target markets and clients and capitalize on business development sales opportunities with new and existing clients. In this role, you will also provide thorough and proactive support for pitches and RFPs, insights about market opportunities, client relationship management, and assist in preparing lawyer teams for strategic opportunities. You will be responsible for telling our story through pitches, directory submissions, market and company research, events, and project management.
The ideal candidate has a generalist background in corporate transactions, commercial litigation and IP who is a strategic, self-motivated innovative leader who is an effective communicator with with strong\ business acumen and the ability to execute multiple projects and priorities simultaneously. Experience in mentoring and managing junior team members is required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
• Respond to new business pitches and RFPs;
• Create substantive business development-related presentations;
• Respond to surveys, directories and award submissions;
• Identify key industry sponsorships and speaking engagements;
• Conduct research and analysis on new clients/markets/industries;
• Develop and maintain annual Los Angeles development budget and track ROI for all initiatives;
• Develop and maintain marketing collateral; and
• Track matters including outcomes.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred;
• Ten years related experience, five (5) of which must have been in a manager or senior manager role in a law firm environment;
• Comprehensive understanding of corporate practices with an emphasis on the private equity industry as well as a background in commercial litigation and IP is preferred;
• Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and presentation skills required; and
• Strong understanding of the Los Angeles market and the market dynamics of the Americas;
• Experience developing and managing junior business development staff required;
• Ability to analyze data and use multiple sources of information to develop solutions and recommendations;
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, a very strong attention to detail and a professional demeanor;
• Ability to manage a diverse range of assignments and projects, prioritize multiple tasks and delegate work appropriately;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills a strong presentation skills;
• Excellent client service orientation and comfortable interacting with firm leadership and other senior administrative personnel;
• Willingness to travel to as needed to support the lawyers and manage staff; and
• Track record of creating persuasive content across a variety of mediums.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with a particular emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint;
• Experience with CRM platforms, with a preference for InterAction and eMarketing tools;
• Strong knowledge of industry databases including Capital IQ, PitchBook, Preqin, LexMachina and MonitorSuite required.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
For applicants who are based in Los Angeles, visit the following link for pay range information: http://staffjobsus.kirkland.com/pages/LAJOBID7341
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.