About Kirkland & Ellis
At Kirkland & Ellis, we are united in our ambition and drive to move forward. We share core values that help us achieve excellence: collaboration, talent empowerment, service, inclusion, respect and gratitude. Our people are our greatest asset, and we invest in the brightest talent and encourage a diversity of perspectives and strengths to create dynamic teams that operate at the pinnacle of their field. Our talented professionals show up every day knowing they will engage in meaningful work, continuous learning and professional development.
As one of the world’s leading law firms, we serve a broad range of clients with market-leading practices in private equity, M&A and other complex corporate transactions; investment fund formation and management; restructurings; high-stakes litigation and trials; and government, regulatory and internal investigations. We handle the most complicated and sophisticated legal matters because we don’t just meet industry standards, we create them. We bring innovation and entrepreneurialism to every engagement and, as a result, have long-standing client relationships with leading global corporations and financial sponsors. With 6,500 employees (including 3,500+ lawyers) operating from 19 offices across the United States, Europe and Asia, we are one of the largest law firms in the world and a top financial performer.
Essential Job Functions
The Litigation & Practice Technology (“LPT”) Project Manager reports to the Associate Director and will work directly with case teams when requested by case teams and clients to: identify eDiscovery focused technical requirements and resources; assist with managing and selecting service providers; define and execute associated support tasks; provide project management for technical workstreams; and when requested provide eDiscovery and analytics consulting services.
Ideal candidates will have 6 years (preferred) experience in legal technology support at an AMLAW 100 law firm or service provider.
Essential Functions: (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
As requested by case teams and clients, the Project Manager will perform the following functions.
- Provide hands-on support in Relativity, Brainspace and other litigation technology toolsets for a variety of requests, including: case creation; field and coding layout creation; strategic application of TAR and other analytics; advanced search design, implementation and validation; creation and support of document review and production workflows; privilege log design and management; complaint data and exhibit management.
- Advise on and coordinate development of key specifications (e.g., data processing and exception handling) with case teams and internal LPT Operations team. Assess and address any issues found in reporting related to data processing, exception handling or completeness of data collection.
- Coordinate (or perform if necessary) in-house data management activities such as data processing, loading into database applications, imaging and building production subsets.
- Perform final quality control and assurance on deliverables to case teams, clients and third parties.
- Consult with case team members on the use of customized litigation support apps and tools.
- Assist with analyzing and testing new versions of software.
- Trouble shoot escalated issues.
- Support the execution of special projects.
- Apply firm standards in both technology and practices as identified by Firm leadership and guided by an Associate Director.
Project Management & Consulting Responsibilities
- Support assessment and selection of eDiscovery and Managed Review providers.
- Assist with the management of external service providers and any required problem-solving or troubleshooting. Help identify opportunities for improved use of technology or process to gain efficiencies and meet best practices.
- Coordinate communications and document decisions related to technical work-streams including running project meetings, determining requirements, schedules, deliverables and quality standards.
- Coordinate and QC completion of work requests between case teams and Operations teams.
- Identify and implement process, reporting and documentation enhancements to improve service quality. Enhancements could include tracking systems, reporting templates, review workflows and development of use cases for the utilization of advanced analytics and AI.
- Consult on and document data identification, preservation and collection procedures.
- Consult on and implement the use of TAR, advance analytics and review/quality control workflow design.
- Assists case teams in the analysis and presentation of data trends and patterns using TAR and other advanced analytics.
- Contribute to departmental publications, presentations and documentation creation.
- Deliver training to case teams and department as required.
- Develop and/or lead change management efforts across all phases of projects and initiatives to drive the Firm’s culture of continuous improvement.
- Provide briefings to the Associate Director and Director of Litigation & Practice Technology as requested.
Qualifications & Requirements
A successful Project Manager will have a strong combination of the following technical, project management and consulting experience, capabilities and knowledge.
Technical - Required
- A minimum of 3 years of hands on experience with leading eDiscovery review platforms (Relativity, DISCO, Recommind) with an emphasis on database setup, complex search construction and results validation, design of optimized review workflows including document batching.
- A minimum of 1 year of hands on experience with the use of TAR and other analytics (BrainSpace, NexLP) with an emphasis on the use of CAL/CMML and other techniques for deduplication, email threading, review prioritization, sampling, production quality control, privilege identification and other predictive models.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience supporting early case assessment steps to defensibly cull document volumes and identify potential gaps in data collections or incoming productions.
- General knowledge of industry standard data processing specifications, exception handling and other data assessment techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and other data management tools.
Technical - Preferred
- Relativity Certified Administrator (RCA); BrainSpace Analyst Certification
- Thorough understanding of the metrics and terminology used to support and explain TAR; basic knowledge of analytics related statistics measures.
Project Management & Consulting - Required
- Thorough knowledge of the litigation lifecycle and eDiscovery processes.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience managing multiple projects and priorities in a timely fashion, simultaneously with a high degree of accuracy, professionalism and client-service orientation.
Project Management & Consulting - Preferred
- Experience assessing and summarizing service providers RFP responses, including pricing models.
- Experience consulting case teams and clients on best practices related to data identification, preservation and collection.
- Experience training case teams on analytics use and best practices.
- PMP Certification
Other Qualifications & Requirements.
- Ability to express thoughts, ideas and information in a clear and compelling manner by highlighting critical points, adjusting messaging to suit the audience, addressing questions and points from others with appropriate responses.
- Ability to identify problems by detecting patterns or connections, researching and analyze problems, determining alternative solutions and creating action steps to solve the problem.
- Ability to think and act quickly, effectively, and appropriately in a variety of situations, solving problems while balancing time, quality, cost and risk.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-office team, building relationships, delegating working and escalating risk appropriately.
- Proven change management skills.
- ‘Can Do’ attitude. Ability to proactively manage case team expectations, recognize needs and adapt plans accordingly.
- Willingness and ability to identify gaps, propose solutions and take ownership of projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, though a combination of associate’s degree and commensurate experience will be considered.
- Flexibility to accommodate overtime is required at times.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm. #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-LC1