About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Lead Procurement Counsel is responsible for consistent management of the vendor contract review teams and contract life cycle process for the Firm’s vendor agreements. This includes assisting our internal business departments with the contract intake process, assigning contracts to team members and ensuring consistent and quality work product, and negotiation of complex and high-value, high-risk vendor agreements. This role requires close collaboration with Firm Senior Leadership, General Counsel, partners, business owners and Strategic Sourcing professionals in accordance with current policies and risk management objectives.
- Manage Contract team members and provide quality control to ensure that all Firm contracts comply with established contracting standards and are completed in a timely manner.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts (Master Services Agreements, Statements of Work, Data Processing/Privacy Agreements and other Terms & Conditions) with the Firm’s vendors, ensuring that all documentation is complete, executed and tracked appropriately.
- Engage and coordinate internal resources (e.g. legal, security, risk, subject matter experts, and stakeholders) as needed.
- Work closely with department leadership to receive approvals from the appropriate stakeholders for any deviations from the Firm’s contracting guidelines.
- Assist with interpretation of existing contract language, as necessary. Provide guidance when business or legal issues occur during the course of existing contract relationships.
- Identify and implement improvements to the contract lifecycle management strategy.
- Manage the administration of the Contract Database, ensuring accurate and complete contract information is stored in this firmwide repository.
- Keep current on best practices as it relates to contract structure, legal terms, and/or laws which may affect the Firm’s relationship with its vendors.
- Work with department leadership and General Counsel’s office to periodically update template or form documents (e.g., master agreements for services and goods, terms and conditions, statements of work, and requests for proposal) to maintain conformity across the Firm.
- Maintain relationships with staff departments, provide training, and understand firmwide contract needs in order to assist with work load balancing as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admission to practice in at least one state in which the Firm has an office.
- Seven or more years of contract review experience within a corporate legal department or law firm is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with review of contracts related to technology acquisition and services, telecommunications, professional services, consulting, facilities, construction, subscription services, travel, meeting and event planning is required.
- Exhibit a proven ability to lead and execute all facets of challenging contracts, from preliminary/conceptual advice through structuring, due diligence, negotiating, drafting, closing, and any post-closing conflict resolution.
- Ability to systematically analyze complex problems, draw relevant conclusions, and quickly implement appropriate solutions is critical.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, project management, and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and the eagerness to contribute and to progress within a dynamic and growing environment are imperative.
- High degree of professionalism and judgment in communications with attorneys, staff and suppliers of the Firm, including safeguarding the confidentiality of client and Firm information.
- A working knowledge of MS Office suite with advanced analytical Word and Excel skills are required.
- Expertise with contract database, spend analytics and workflow software is strongly preferred.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm. #LI-Hybrid