About Kirkland & Ellis
At Kirkland & Ellis, we are united in our ambition and drive to move forward. We share core values that help us achieve excellence: collaboration, talent empowerment, service, inclusion, respect and gratitude. Our people are our greatest asset, and we invest in the brightest talent and encourage a diversity of perspectives and strengths to create dynamic teams that operate at the pinnacle of their field. Our talented professionals show up every day knowing they will engage in meaningful work, continuous learning and professional development.
As one of the world’s leading law firms, we serve a broad range of clients with market-leading practices in private equity, M&A and other complex corporate transactions; investment fund formation and management; restructurings; high-stakes litigation and trials; and government, regulatory and internal investigations. We handle the most complicated and sophisticated legal matters because we don’t just meet industry standards, we create them. We bring innovation and entrepreneurialism to every engagement and, as a result, have long-standing client relationships with leading global corporations and financial sponsors. With 6,500 employees (including 3,000+ lawyers) operating from 18 offices across the United States, Europe and Asia, we are one of the largest law firms in the world and a top financial performer
Essential Job Functions
The Litigation & Practice Technology (“LPT”) Discovery Advisor reports to an LPT Director and will work at the direction of LPT Directors, eDiscovery Committee and other firm attorneys to: assist with eDiscovery and technology consulting and planning; manage and execute document review projects; assist with brief writing and legal research; and provide general project management support.
Ideal candidates will have 10 years (preferred) experience of supporting discovery needs at an AMLAW 100 law firm or service provider.
Essential Functions: (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
As requested by an LPT Director and/or directed by firm attorneys, the Discovery Advisor will perform the following functions.
Consulting, Review Support & Project Management Responsibilities
- Consult on and document data identification, preservation and collection strategies and procedures.
- Assist in relevancy scoping including identification of custodians, non-custodial data sources, search terms and related methodologies.
- Coordinate, attend and document client IT and custodial interviews.
- Consult on development and negotiation of standard agreements including ESI Protocols and Protective Orders
- Consult on and implement the use of TAR, advance analytics and review/quality control workflow design. Assists case teams in the analysis and presentation of data trends and patterns using TAR and other advanced analytics
- Coordinate review team onboarding, training and management including drafting review protocols and other guidance.
- Perform targeted document review projects including review team quality checks, fact-development support, privilege review and logging and other substantively complex review needs as assigned and supervise by firm attorneys.
- Support necessary motion practice around complex e-discovery issues, including research and drafting briefs.
- Support assessment and selection of eDiscovery and Managed Review providers.
- Assist with the management of external service providers and any required problem-solving or troubleshooting. Help identify opportunities for improved use of technology or process to gain efficiencies and meet best practices.
- Coordinate communications and document decisions related to technical work-streams including running project meetings, determining requirements, schedules, deliverables and quality standards.
- Contribute to departmental publications, presentations and documentation creation.
- Deliver training to case teams and department as required.
- Provide briefings to eDiscovery Committee members and Directors of Litigation & Practice Technology as requested.
- Provide hands-on support in Relativity and other litigation technology toolsets for a variety of requests, including: strategic application of TAR and other analytics; advanced search design, implementation and validation; creation and support of document review batching and production workflows; privilege log design and management.
- Coordinate and design TAR and active learning projects--including assessing search term performance, analytics results and other metrics (precision, recall, ranking distributions) to advise case teams on options to proceed with document review workflows and/or additional model training.
- Maintain deep and broad knowledge of emerging products and technology solutions for analyzing data sets, including TAR, CAL and other AI-driven solutions.
- Perform final quality control and assurance on deliverables to case teams, clients and third parties.
- Consult with case team members on the use of customized litigation support apps and tools.
- Support the execution of special projects.
- Apply firm standards in both technology and practices as identified by Firm leadership and guided by an Associate Director.
Qualifications & Requirements
A successful Discovery Advisor will have a strong combination of the following consulting, review support project management and technical experience, capabilities and knowledge.
Consulting, Review Support & Project Management Required
- Thorough knowledge of the litigation lifecycle and eDiscovery processes.
- Experience consulting case teams and clients on eDiscovery best practices.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience supporting the design and management of complex document review projects including management of contract attorneys, application of TAR and other analytics, review and reporting of key performance and progress metrics.
Consulting, Review Support & Project Management - Preferred
- Experience consulting case teams and clients on best practices related to data collection, privacy, information governance and security.
- Experience training case teams on analytics use and other eDiscovery best practices.
- PMP Certification
Technical - Required
- A minimum of 10 years of hands on experience with leading eDiscovery review platforms with an emphasis on complex search construction and results validation, design of optimized review workflows including document batching.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience supporting early case assessment steps to defensibly cull document volumes and identify potential gaps in data collections or incoming productions.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and other data management tools.
Technical - Preferred
- A minimum of 3 years of hands on experience with the use of TAR and other analytics (BrainSpace, NexLP) with an emphasis on the use of CAL/CMML and other techniques for deduplication, email threading, review prioritization, sampling, production quality control, privilege identification and other predictive models.
- Thorough understanding of the metrics and terminology used to support and explain TAR; basic knowledge of analytics related statistics measures.
- Relativity Certified Administrator (RCA)
Other Qualifications & Requirements
- Juris Doctorate required.
- Ability to express thoughts, ideas and information in a clear and compelling manner by highlighting critical points, adjusting messaging to suit the audience, addressing questions and points from others with appropriate responses.
- Ability to identify problems by detecting patterns or connections, researching and analyze problems, determining alternative solutions and creating action steps to solve the problem.
- Ability to think and act quickly, effectively, and appropriately in a variety of situations, solving problems while balancing time, quality, cost and risk.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-office team, building relationships, delegating working and escalating risk appropriately.
- ‘Can Do’ attitude. Ability to proactively manage case team expectations, recognize needs and adapt plans accordingly.
- Willingness and ability to identify gaps, propose solutions and take ownership of projects.
- This position requires some weekend and after hours support and may require occasional travel.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm. #LI-Hybrid