About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
Kirkland & Ellis is seeking an assistant to support the Intellectual Property Business Development efforts of the Firm.
You will report directly to the Associate Director of Business Development (Intellectual Property). In this role, you will also communicate and collaborate regularly with nearly 100 diverse problem-solvers and advisers dedicated to the broader business development, marketing and communications efforts of the Firm. Our international BD team provides seamless service to our attorneys with a focus on quality, innovation and responsiveness.
In this role, you will be assisting with new pitch preparation, client presentations, internal events, marketing collateral maintenance, matters database maintenance, CRM maintenance, research, and award submissions, and nominations.
An ideal candidate must possess outstanding analytical skills and be able to simply (and concisely) convey complex information. You should have a general understanding of the core legal practice areas of the Firm, including knowledge of the various types of intellectual property litigation cases and technology/IP transactions.
- Assist in the overall implementation of development plans and initiatives for the IP practice, including maintain systems to track practice initiatives.
- Planning and execution of client-facing Firm-hosted seminars relating to the promotion of the IP practice. You will assist with the program design and all aspects of the execution, including attendance tracking/follow-up in CRM.
- Produce pitch materials, responses to RFPs and client presentations, including compiling information, proofreading, formatting (must have exceptional PowerPoint skills), and editing. Maintain system to track client pitches and presentations.
- Develop, update, and confirm accuracy of marketing collateral including practice descriptions, brochures, PowerPoint templates, case summaries, accolade summaries and attorney biographies.
- Daily tracking and reporting of patent litigation filings.
- Manage data in the Firm’s marketing contact relationship management (CRM) database, including the review and creation of mailing lists used for direct mail campaigns.
- Assist with survey responses and award submissions.
- Research and prepare intelligence reports on clients, potential clients, competitors and industries of interest to the IP practice.
- Assist with maintenance of experience database, including data entry and record updates.
- The candidate may also be called upon to assist with various other initiatives that intersect with other functional areas within the business development context.
- Provide general assistance to the Associate Director of Business Development relating to the initiatives of the IP practice and Business Development department.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- Strong organization and communication skills with the ability to interact professionally with high-level attorneys, staff and guests of the Firm are necessary.
- You should be able to work independently while making intelligent, informed decisions. Kirkland demands quality work from every employee (often in high-pressure and deadline-driven scenarios) so you need to be able to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
- You must have strong project management skills and exceptional business acumen.
- You will be required to handle ambiguity, influence others and find ways to move initiatives forward to meet critical deadlines and produce results.
- The position demands meticulous writing and proofing skills, and you need to possess a general facility for learning new software.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required and an ideal candidate will have three to four years’ experience in the law firm environment.
- You should have a demonstrated ability to plan and execute a wide variety of events. From intimate closing dinners to large-scale industry receptions, you will be tasked with creating engaging and memorable experiences for clients and friends of the Firm.
- You will be involved in our pitch process, which requires a command and solid understanding of Kirkland’s IP legal disciplines (e.g., patent, copyright, trademark, trade secrets, and advertising litigation, and technology and IP transactions) and aptitude for market research and relationship intelligence. IP and/or legal experience is preferred.
- Strong skills in MS Office software with expertise in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel are required.
- Experience with Adobe and SharePoint are preferred.
- CRM/Database Software (e.g., InterAction, Salesforce, etc.).
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.