About Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Business Analyst (Information Governance) role supports programs of the Information Governance (IG) and Risk Systems team at Kirkland. The IG team at Kirkland is responsible for managing and executing services and projects governing the Firm’s client and administrative data / information in accordance with ethical, legal and contractual requirements. The Risk Systems team is responsible for supporting and managing Risk Management systems and reporting needs for the department.
This role is not only responsible for leading large scale program and project efforts, but must also act as a business leader within the Risk organization. The Senior IG Specialist is expected to drive, not just facilitate, project efforts, to complete difficult and complex assignments. He or she will have wide accountability to propel the performance of cross functional teams involved in the planning and delivery of Risk projects. This person must be able to work independently, to manage resources without direct authority and to operate with great judgment as to how and when to escalate issues and risks to project sponsors and direct manager or management team.
Business Analyst (Information Governance) work in/provide guidance to staff working in one or more of the following areas as directed by the senior Risk Management leadership.
Risk Systems Management
Ensure that business needs are being met and enhanced using technology using best practices. Duties include:
- Assists in leading, directing, and reviewing all activities associated with delivering technology products. Responsible for project timeliness, and customer satisfaction.
- Engage business owners and other IT teams to respond problems and requests for new applications and/or enhancements.
- Define and document requirements for assigned projects working closely with business users / clients. Creates documentation including requirements, user stories, acceptance criteria, feature description PowerPoint decks, user guides, process flows, and wireframes.
- Conduct “design thinking sessions” to gain insights into end user and customer needs, work with Product Managers to prioritize requirements, define and manage scope and sprints for a project.
- Work with Risk Systems team to develop reports and analyze data
- Lead User Acceptance Testing.
Ensure that the following activities occur in accordance with Firm approved information governance policies. Duties include:
- Administer document classification audits and coordinate remediation activities
- Develop guidance, processes, and tools / controls to ensure Firm data is structured and secured appropriately
- Ensure data integrity of core Client data across Firm systems
Ensure that client or Firm information is preserved or destroyed in accordance with legal requirements. Duties include:
- Meet and confer with legal teams to define the scope and reason for legal holds / preservation order
- Draft and send compliance related notices for legal holds/preservation orders, protective orders/destruction orders to relevant billers
- Administer legal hold/preservation order system, and procedures
- Administer protective orders / destruction orders procedures
Electronic Data Discovery
Assist with the collection of information related to subpoenas directed to the Firm, as well as information requests from internal teams. Duties include:
- Coordinate with in-house counsel to collect electronic data for internal review
- Create and refine searches to identify relevant material for attorney review using litigation software
- Provide training and user support to lawyers, paralegals and other support staff on litigation technology software and systems
- Assist attorneys with document review
- Prepare documents for delivery to outside parties as required
Ensure appropriate controls are in place to enforce confidentiality, privacy, and security obligations for protected information. Duties include:
- Advise legal teams on how to manage protected information
- Work closely with Information Technology and Information Security teams to review and respond to security questionnaires and due diligence requests.
- Conduct access entitlement reviews of matters involving sensitive information.
Senior Information Governance Specialist is expected to:
- Identify and contain risk relating to information management, and foster a compliance culture
- Provide practical recommendations and solutions to complex and/or technical issues that relate to the management of client and Firm administrative information
- Lead cross functional teams to ensure appropriate governance of information management practices at the Firm
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of supporting procedures and processes
- Serve as liaison to, and foster good working relationships with, attorneys and others needing assistance with information governance issues
- Assist with responding to information requests from partner and other internal and external parties
- Respond proactively to both business and project issues and escalates appropriately
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
- An accredited undergraduate degree
- Minimum of 5 years of prior experience with a background in:
- systems development, governance and oversight
- project management,
- business analysis and/or
- process design.
- Candidates with an educational background from a wide variety of disciplines including information technology, legal, compliance, information management, and/or records management or equivalent experience will be considered.
- This position requires a self-motivated, creative and detail-oriented individual with a strong knowledge of information management and/or information governance processes and technologies.
- Aptitude and interest in information technologies, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills is necessary
- Must be capable of analyzing data, understanding technology, effectively prioritizing tasks/projects, and communicating complex and/or technical topics relating to IG to those who have no prior knowledge of the Firm’s systems and policies.
- Must have excellent communication skills, strong management, organization, analytical, planning and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications is required.
- Writes persuasive business analysis, probing key issues, recommending system/process changes, and presentations to facilitate constructive dialogues sharing business and technical vision to teams.
- Provides summarized assessments to management team, indicating alternatives considered and critical success factors.
- Develops activities for movement to world class practices, such as metrics and process improvements.
- The ideal candidate will have a solid working knowledge and understanding of end to end software development lifecycles including agile development and testing.
- Consulting/professional services experience
- Project management experience
- Legal industry experience
- Experience supporting software projects, experience working in a business/systems analyst role for a professional services organization
- Working knowledge of SharePoint, SQL and SSRS
- Prior experience using and/or administering Autonomy WorkSite, Shared Drives, Share Point, and LegalKEY is a plus.
- Business analysis experience
- Master’s degree
- Core Technologies - Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio
- Preferred Technologies - SQL, Legal Software, SSRS
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- PMP preferred
- Information Governance Professional preferred
- Certified Records Manager preferred
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click "Apply Now."
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP ("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.